June 7, 2010
Just southeast of Innsbruck town is Ambras Castle. This Renaissance palace was originally a medieval castle and it was renovated by Archduke Ferdinand the 2nd for his wife in the mid-1500s.
Its extensive grounds are replete with beautifully manicured gardens. There’s even a 17th-century fake waterfall. And not to be forgotten, there are resident peacocks.
The armory and the “curiosities” collection feature the archduke’s assortment of the beautiful and the bizarre, like stuffed sharks and ancient Portuguese frocks.
The beautiful Spanish Hall, which was built between 1569 and 1572, has an intricately carved wooden ceiling. The 27 life-size portraits of Tirolean princes make this hall a memorable visit back to the glory days of Ambras. The Spanish Hall is also a popular venue for classical music concerts.
Video from our visit: